Sunday, October 30, 2016

How to Celebrate Halloween


It's that time of year again, folks.  It's time for candy, jack-o-lanterns, and embracing the Macabre.  Halloween is one of my favorite seasons, not only because it is the hight of fall and two days after my birthday, but it is the one time of year that people openly celebrate the non-living.  They indulge in that which they avoid throughout the year.  It's the most surreal of the holidays, plus we all get to live in a Tim Burton movie for a day!

Death of course is something we all avoid like...like death.  As we should.  But, it is a normal part of life that everyone will encounter throughout their days.  And all living beings must eventually dance in the gazebo.

Knowing this fact, it should be a motivator to each one of us to live the most fulfilling lives possible.  You don't know if you'll get another one.  Even if this is your most recent reincarnation, do you have memory of your past lives?  I don't.  

Halloween is a day to celebrate all things scary and dead, as well as remember loved ones past.  I think it should also be a reminder of mortality.  It's a motivation reinvigoration of the the darkest kind.  And there's nothing wrong with that.  If one lives life as if they're already dead, what does one have to lose in trying to live their dreams?  Embracing the inevitability of death is in itself liberation from that inevitability.  

Here are some quotes that I came up with, that I'm sure people have said before.  They sum up this article easier than a conclusion paragraph.  Feel free to use these as daily/personal mantras.

"If I'm gonna die one day anyway, then what's stopping me from living?"
"Dying is inevitable, and so is living!"
"If nothing can stop me from dying,  nothing but death can stop me from living!" 

Carpe Diem usually, this halloween, Carpe Noctum!  Happy Halloween, Samhain, Dia de los Muertos Comment, share, etc!

No comments:

Post a Comment