Saturday, November 12, 2016

How to Play Good Music

Sometimes it's hard to learn an instrument.  It also takes a long time, and a lot of practice to master it. If you have a healthy and well fortified creative bone, then I have a secret shortcut for you.

If you want to walk into any room, sit down at the piano, and play like the pianissimo you know you could be, then this tip is for you.

As I mentioned before, you need to meet the creativity prerequisites to pull this off.  My trick involves, not learning to read the music off the paper, but composing it.

Certainly, no one can play a piano without ever doing it before (normal people).  And so, you also need to meet the musical/piano prerequisites of having a foundational understanding of music notation, notes, chords, etc.  You need to know how to play the piano.

What? I thought this was a shortcut!

It is.  But there is a difference between knowing how to play a piano, and actually playing one.  I know how to read music and play the keys, but it takes me a long time, note by note, to learn a song.  Instead of reading the sentence straight up, I have to sound each word and memorize the whole sentence.

Some people can read and play, some people play by ear and have everything memorized.  That's me.  I'm a little impatient, and to bypass all the endless practicing, I write new songs.

But, don't you still have to memorize them?

Yes, I do, but writing a song doesn't take five minutes.  It can take hours, days, weeks, even months.  During the composition process, I sit at the piano, messing around until I hear something I like.  I play around until I've created a decent melody or hook.  Then I build off of that with other melodies and hooks, all improvised and played over and over.  During composition I play the same little bits repeatedly and I replay the song multiple times each time I add something or change it.  I play with the pedals, and the octaves too, making endless variances.

I am able to save time because writing and memorizing are combined.  I write the song and learn the song all at the same time.  I write my pieces down by hand as I go, too, to help codify it in my mind.  Also, I don't have to worry about forgetting it.  It's written down.

So, by composing your own songs, you can walk into the room and WOW your friends, family, coworkers, colleagues, and don't forget love interests.   They will think you know what you're doing and they get to hear a piece they've never heard before!

Get out there and show Mozart how it's done!

Please comment, share, compose, etc!
(but don't give away the secret)

No comments:

Post a Comment