Thursday, August 9, 2018

There is No Circadian Rhythm


The human circadian rhythm is a biological clock that regulates when you are awake and when you need to sleep.

Generally, humans are awake during the daytime and they sleep at night.

They function the best in the mornings and afternoons and are tired in the evening and at night.

In terms of my own circadian rhythm, I don't think I have one.

Either that or I am genetically predisposed to be a night owl.

My mother is the same way.

I don't really function well before 1pm and am not fully mentally awake until after 5pm.

My creativity spikes between 10pm and 2am.

I've always wanted to buy a downtown office space and turn it into a late night art studio for local artists who also function best late at night.

The new title of this blog is hence this notion.

I envision a scene of artists who are out late not only for partying, but are out late working on their craft.

The earlier hours of the day inhibit their creative functions.

The lighted hours of the day are for sleeping and errands.

What is a morning?

I write and post for this blog often within that 10 to 2 period.

My natural circadian rhythm of night owl-edness has proved to be inescapable.

On days when I've woken up around 6am and worked a full day of normie work, I may get sleepy after dinner around 8pm.

If I can stay active until 930pm, my night owl creative brain begins to kick on.

Once this happens, sleeping is unlikely until 1230am if I'm lucky.

I could stay up far later if I let myself.

One day I plan to build that studio for artists of all types to meet up late at night and do what they do best at the times they do them best.

Four hours ago I wanted to sit and write, but nothing came to me.

It's now 10:30pm and I'm just getting started.

-Ulysses Mohnton


No comments:

Post a Comment