Thursday, March 14, 2019

What I Found in the Woods

A few weeks ago, I went for a hike into the wild lands of costal Virginia. A long path took me to where the trail began.
I hiked for nearly three miles through a wooded trail of uneven terrain. I tripped over roots and climbed over fallen timbers until I arrived at a platform that jetted over the water.
As I looked out over the reservoir, I saw the untamed lands in all their splendor. I thought to myself, no matter what happens among the turmoils of world politics, this will never be destroyed, short of Ragnarok.
I looked at the trees on the banks flanking me, and then I saw it!
A piece of exceedingly rare Wild Jazz. This species of musical lichen was picked to near extinction in the first half of the twentieth century. Then in the nineteen-nineties, it was again harvested to adorn disposable drinking cups.
I, myself, could not let this impossible opportunity pass without cutting a piece of it to take.
Meanwhile, I think the rangers were on to me. This canoe followed me along the reservoir trail.
Despite the difficulties of stealthy movement, I escaped the rangers' apprehension.

In celebration, I think I'll start a jazz quartet.



No comments:

Post a Comment