Thursday, August 4, 2016

Nah Likteline Siknarfish

To Day is a Big Day

            As of ten minutes ago, I have finished constructing my first language.  Siknarfish is a fictional tongue I’ve been working on since 2009, but wasn’t anything more than a code until 2014.  In high school, I used to sit in the back of class writing lists of vocab words and translating English to Siknarfish word for word.  This does not qualify something as a language. And, it wasn’t until my first university language course, en francais, that I started to know what a language needed.
            Over the past few years, as I really learned what it took to construct a language, I began the long process of converting a list of made up vocab words into a grammatical structure: complete with conjugation, tenses, and the all else.
            Now all that Siknarfish needs is the growth of the vocabulary and pronunciation.  You must build the house before you can paint it, decorate it, and fill it with furniture.  This is essentially where I am.  I have all the details and fine tuning in a trailer down the driveway, ready to move in. 
            Now I’m sure you all would like to see a bit of it written:

            “M’espavvak soinseda bon lahz Irishen mo’siketue cron lah verlde”
           

Translation: They invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn’t take over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment