Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Titus Livius: Book One: A Brief Review


A Brief Review of Livy: Book 1

I recently read Titus Livius’ first book in his history of Rome.  I was able to read it in bits and pieces during my lunch breaks and a few sessions at the university library.  Ever since I graduated with my degree in history, I have become hungry for the primary and ancient sources.  I should have been obsessed with these guys back during my university days, when I actually HAD to read them.  Perhaps that’s why I enjoy them so much now, since I don’t HAVE to read them.  Nonetheless, I started going to the library of a University near me to make up for my lack of access to my university library.  And found! it has a better selection from that of where I studied.
Anyway, I read book one of Livy, and I quite enjoyed it.  Book one spans the period of Roman history known as the Roman Kingdom.  It begins with Aeneas and his flight from Troy to Italy.  Livy leads up to the founding of Rome by Romulus and discusses his reign.  Livy tells the story of what happened under each of the seven kings of Rome. It ends at the overthrow of the Kingdom after the rape of Lucretia and the beginning of the Republic.
On to the review part:  Well, once again, I very much enjoyed it.  It read like fiction to me.  I got used to the antiquated language rather quickly but I’m used to reading older things anyway.  I like things that are harder to read; they’re more of a challenge and you feel accomplished when finished.  It read like fiction and had plenty of mythical speculation, but was all about true events.  That is the best, when reading a story.  If you read something that is entertaining and engaging and then throw on top that it all happened, you will have the best reading experience.  That’s my favorite part about history.  I like to read history as a great story, because I write fiction.  I love the dramatic development of things.  But then because it is true, I feel like I learned something and didn’t waste my time.
On a historiographical note, certain things included in Livy’s narration were almost certainly myths or legends.  For example: the death of Romulus.  Livy told of a cloud overcoming Romulus during a storm and him disappearing within it, which most likely didn’t happen.  Then he follows that up by saying it was also said that his senators turned upon him and killed him.  He presents the legend first and then says a more likely story.  Once presenting both, Livy continues on with events as if the legendary version is that one that really happened.  It’s as if that’s the only one that really mattered.  But I don’t necessarily disagree.  He is a Roman writing the history of Rome, his country.  To people of the day, miracles or legends of that nature were not unbelievable.  To paint your country in the most positive light, is a benefit to it.  If anyone disagrees with that, you cannot say he didn’t present multiple versions of the same event.  Whether Romulus was divinely whisked away or murdered by his own senators, does it really matter what actually happened?  Especially that long ago?  Rome still went on to a greatness that lasted over a thousand years.  It still conquered the Mediterranean and much of western Europe. It still went on to be one of the most powerful empires in world history.  Therefore, Livy, writing in the context of Rome, being a Roman, and writing in Latin, can’t help but to write in favor of his own country. 

This sounds like one of my university diatribes...Time to digress.  Livy wrote his history well, and he wrote it with an air of romanticism that I tend to enjoy.  The more something real feels like it is fiction, the more interesting it is and the more history is interesting.  At least in this case.  Everyone should read the classics.  Hail Cæsar!

No comments:

Post a Comment